Fortunately however, it all turned out differently. We could assume that the balloon would be completed before the end of the holiday and all we needed then were good weather conditions. That did not happen though and we had to accept that everything would be delayed. On Friday 14th September I therefore went to my employer Kraftverkehr Pößneck and picked up the driving job for the following Monday as the holiday was now over. I also continued to work on the balloon which was still unfinished. Saturday brought us a big surprise though when a sudden change in the weather occurred. A front had passed through leaving behind stable conditions and a developing northerly wind. That was what we had been waiting for all along and pinning our hopes on. I then hurried to get the balloon ready by the evening and at 10pm it was finished but in the rush to get it done I made a mistake which could have been our undoing.
I had merged the twelve ropes onto which the basket would be fixed through the dome of the balloon and tied them all together with a knot. The seams of the fabric also merged at the same position but they were not of the same lengths. This caused a hole to form. Since this hole was not large I did not see it as a problem. I simply made a cover from some surplus material, placed it over the hole and sewed it onto the balloon. With that, the balloon was now finished and ready for use. We already had the rest of the gear e.g. the burner and fan from our previous attempts and we had been building the basket in the meantime; that had become old hat by now.
To check whether the wind really was ideal we drove up to Bahrener Höhe. We chose this spot because it was the highest hill near Pößneck and determined there that the wind was perfect for our plans.
Now we were ready and could get going!